Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Penang Village




1290 Coleman Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95050
(408) 980-0668

Penang Village is a Malaysian restaurant in Santa Clara, is off of the Coleman street. I have actually driven by the place several time and is curious about the place. The facade looks old and a bit like some of the restaurants I've tried in Thailand. I actually like this look, it gives the restaurant character. Inside you'll find the same motif, as the same rusted old restaurant look permeates everything. I went during lunch time and it wasn't busy at all. There was a sign that stated that the restaurant lost its' liquor license. Not exactly the initial impression I was looking for. There were a few people scattered about, but no where what I was expecting during the lunch time rush. It took a few minute for someone to seat me.

Malaysian cuisine is a mix of different cultures in Asia. The menu reflects that, and you can find Thai inspired dishes to Indian influences. After looking at the menu, I decided to try the Roti and the Indian fried noodle.

The
Roti came out first and I thought it looked a bit limped. Unfortunately it was. Instead of the crisp outside with the soft inside that we all know and love. The whole thing was a soggy mess. It seemed as if they just defrosted it from a package. The curry sauce that was served on the side was lifeless and a tasteless.



Next came the Indian noodles. The flavor was actually not bad. I actually liked it. It tasted like Pad Thai but not sour. There were some vegetables sprinkling throughout, but they were all wilted. At that point, I pretty much came to the conclusion that they were not using fresh ingredients. My suspicion was confirmed when on my way out, another patron complained that their fish was not fresh.




Service was pretty much non-
existent. I hardly saw my server at all, and there wasn't that many patrons in the restaurant at the time. She seemed to be more concerned with a table for four and ignored me since I was by myself.

Final Thoughts: It seems that the best years has long past this restaurant.

Food: 1 1/2 stars
Service: 1 1/2 stars
Overall: 1 1/2 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment