Saturday, May 16, 2009

Welcome

Welcome

Hello, welcome to my new blog the Hypertaster.

This is my blog in the world of food. Family friends often come to me for advice about food, where to eat, or my opinions on restaurants. Why is that? Well, I have a personal motto of Live to eat, not eat to live. I love everything about food, from the first whiff of aroma when the waiter finally brings out your order, the first tantalizing first bites, all the way to savoring the last bite of morsels. Food makes you want to live, it can express as much emotions as a good song, tell a story, be an edible art.

Food does not have to be pretentious or grand, it just has to be good. I can tell you have have paid obscene amounts of money on one meal, and I didn't even bat an eye. People often say, I wasted my money on food, yet I can remember to the utmost detail of the finest meals I have. That does not mean that I would prefer to eat at high class expensive restaurants over cheap and homely ones. No, like I said food just has to be good, in fact, I can contend that a great bowl of pho or ramen is etched in my memory as much as a meals I paid 500 dollars for (that was 500 per person).

I will often go out of my way to try authentic cuisine. Sometimes, I may not like it or sometimes I end up loving it that I refuse to eat anything that is not authentic to that particular cuisine. I can at least say, that I am not afraid to try it. I may not like it, but I will try any food.

If you want to know a bit about myself, I'm Chinese, married a Vietnamese and father of two.
Have a passion for food all my life, worked in my family restaurant every since I was 10. Though we do not own a restaurant anymore, I still have an eye on what makes good food.
I'm fortunate enough to live in the San Francisco bay area, where I consider one of the epicenter of great ethnic and regional food.

Here's a quick hint to start with. If a restaurant that is crowded has a sign that says "cash only." the food tend to be good. Why? Because they know their food is better than others that they can command to accept only cash only. And people are willing to go through with the hassle of bring cash. Think about it, if you were a restaurant owner, you don't want to pay a credit card company any transaction fees. You want to pocket all that income in your wallet. So you only accept cash, but your product better be good or people would rather go to a place that conveniently accept credit cards.

I will begin posting my impressions of restaurants, meals, food tv shows, and recipes (if I have them).

No comments:

Post a Comment