Monday, May 18, 2009

The Village



378 Santana Row #1035
San Jose, CA
95128
(408) 248-9091

Hello folks,

Last night I visited one of the more trendy places in San Jose, which is Santana Row. If you do know this place, it is located near Westfield Valley Fair Mall. It is essentially an outdoor mall, where people go to eat, shop and general go to be seen. Upon walking up and down the strip, you can see trendy restaurants, flashy cars, and boat loads of people. My wife and I wanted to try out Citrus restaurant, but unfortunately it was close. We then walked over to Yankee Pier, a seafood place, but they said there is about 10 minute wait for a table, even though we saw empty tables everywhere. So we walked across the hall to The Village restaurant.

I must admit this was not the first time eating at The Village. The first time was a year ago and I distinctly remember ordering a rack of ribs, and the ribs were cold. I had the waiter sent it back to the kitchen. So after a year, I figured I can give the village another shot.

We were greeted warmly by a young gentlemen and sat down right away. It was pretty hot out and so we selected the cool of the interior dinning room. The restaurant is what I consider typical rectangular restaurant where the seating is arrange in a straight fashion away from the entrance on one side of the building. The decor has wine on the walls and a typical American or California furnishings, more causal than formal.

Another young gentleman was our waiter and took our orders promptly. We ordered the Seared scallops as an appetizer, the fresh fish of the day for my wife, Syah braised boneless short rib for myself. We asked for bread while we waited, and did we ever waited. Apparently everybody else also ordered at the same time, because it seemed like the kitchen staff got slammed.

You can tell a lot of about a restaurant by the little details. The bread they brought to us was warm and the butter was excellent. The butter was air whipped so it was light and fluffy. This was a nice touched, it made for an easy and excellent spreading. Though it lack strong buttery flavor, I tend to like this much more. We liked it so much that we asked for seconds on our bread and butter, but to our disappointment, the second butter was not air whipped, but a straight forward pat of butter.

We waited so long the the chef, gave us our appetizer on the house. When it finally arrived, it was prepared perfectly. Nice seared on both sides and sitting on a bed of polenta, with a micro greens on top. It was seasoned nicely, with a brown butter sauce, and some crisp prosciutto pieces on the side. So the food was worth the wait apparently.

We waited some more for our entrees to arrive. My wife's fish was mainly a seared what appears to be some sort of white fish, though the name escape me at the moment. It has a micro salad on the side. It was cooked nicely with a crisp outside and soft interior. Although I did not see anything special about it, my wife did enjoy it.

My braised beef short rib was nicely done. The sauce had a good reduction and was quite flavorful and rich. It was your typical reduce dark wine sauce, but the execution was good. They put some fresh tarragon, and a side of swish chard mix with I think was polenta. The side was quite buttery and heavy, really did not match well with the heavy short rib. They should have exchanged the side with my wife's micro salad for more of a balance and contrast. Otherwise I could not find any other fault with the dish. The beef was soft and tender and barely needed a knife for cutting. The sauce match well and gave the beef a great deep rich burgundy color. It was salty with a hint of herbs like most braised beef has.
The meal was quite heavy and left little room for desert. I must say I was quite satisfied by the end of the meal.

Overall other than the long wait time, (for which we were compensated for), I would say we had a good time with some great food.

If you happened to swing by Santana Row in San Jose, give the Village a try. I gave it a second chance and I'm glad I did.

I will start my general review grading here: We'll use stars. By default it will be out of 5 stars.

Food: 4 stars. I cannot complain about the food. Well prepared
Service: 3 stars. I cannot blame my waiter but the wait time cannot be ignored.
Price: Tend to be more on the pricey side, not for budget minded people.
Overall: 3 and 1/2 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment