Monday, September 13, 2010

Phils BBQ




Phils BBQ
As one of the primer BBQ places in the San Diego area, I had to try it when I was down there. There is a perpetual line outside that can wrap around the building. They are it seems that they bought out most of the plaza.

As you enter the building you are greeted and directed to the menu. Then you have to get a table, which can be a bit of trick as the place seems to be pack. We were recommended we had to try out the beef ribs. So we decided to get a little bit of everything from BBQ beef ribs to BBQ chicken. I believe it was the combo pack with some sides included. The smell is intoxicating as you hungrily wait for your food.




The baby back ribs and the chicken was okay, but to be honest, I didn't that it blew my mind.
The included sides were okay, with nothing that really stands out. The beef ribs on the other hand was quite good. It was soft and tender with just the right amount of smoke. The only knock I would give is that some of the ribs were a bit overdone and dried out. The sauce was sweet and savory. I could see why the place was so popular. The service is mainly self service but some people do come around asking if you need anything.

Now some of you maybe wondering if this is the best BBQ I've eaten, sadly I would say no.
The Willow BBQ is slightly better as I like the sauce with the onion bits more. My brother in law agreed that the Willow BBQ had a better sauce, though he did prefer Phils for the soft meat.

Food : 3 1/2 stars
Service: NA
Price: Average
Overall : 3 1/2 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment