Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harris Ranch



Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant
24505 West Dorris Avenue
Coalinga, CA. 93210
1-800-942-2333

Sorry for the tardy update, but I have not been home for a few days.

Harris Ranch is located almost exactly in between San Francisco and Los Angeles if you take the I-5. This is the place if you remember right where you see and smell massive amounts of cows. Upon pulling up to the restaurant you'll realize that it's actually pretty big. There is a small gift shop where you can purchase some souvenirs and some decent bake goods.

We stopped there on our return trip home from Disneyland. It's actually a decent place to stop, rest and refuel your car. On one side of the bridge you have your typical fast food. The other side you have mainly just Harris Ranch. I've often driven past several times but never stopped to eat at Harris Ranch.

There are actually two restaurants, one for family dinning and another for a more older crowd. Since I had my child with me, we selected the family dinning one, which is called Harris Ranch Kitchen. The decor is what you would expect to find from any ranch style restaurant. There are the usually cowboy, and farm motif on the walls and the tables.

Since we just stopped by for lunch we ordered light. My wife ordered the Caesar Salad again, but this time the salad included slice sirloin. I ordered prime rib open face sandwich with ranch beans. I know what you are thinking, you probably are wondering why did I go to a steakhouse and not order any steak? Well, we just came back from vacation and we were really just looking something not too heavy.

My prime rib sandwich was okay. It was soft and tender, though I did find it a bit bland. It was a generous portion and it came with some onion strings. I guess either my taste buds were overused on this trip or the seasoning wasn't just right. I ranch beans was only okay also, they did not compare to the ones we had at the Willow Ranch BBQ (see Willow Ranch BBQ review).


My wife's salad was pretty good. The steak was well seasoned and cooked properly. It was tender and soft, which match well with the salad, which was fresh and crispy. The dressing was nice and not over powering. One of the few times I wish I had order what my wife had instead of my dish. For lunch, I would say that that dish is pretty perfect. Gives you a refreshing lunch, but still had some protein.


After our lunch, I really wished I had tried some steak and some BBQ to really give a a good review. But alas, our time was short and our stomach was full. I may review this restaurant again in the future, but we'll see.

The service was adequate. We were served pretty quickly and they did check in on us from time to time.

Final Thoughts: Good place to stop and stretch the legs after a long drive.

Food: 3 stars
Service: 3 1/2 stars
Price: Above Average
Overall: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment